There's been a joint US-India military exercise going on recently, but the press briefs from last week didn't catch my eye as much as this one today did. It's always nice when spirituality and cultural awareness are part of the takeways from training. MP+
By Fred W. Baker III
American Forces Press Service
CAMP BUNDELA, India, Oct. 30, 2009 - It's 6 a.m. and as the sun rises, U.S. Army Sgt. Brandon Vacchelli sits on a mat in the grass, cross-legged, eyes closed and index and thumb fingers pressed together with his palms facing up.
Hummmm. Hummmm, he murmurs.
Off and on for the past two weeks, Vacchelli and others in the 2nd Squadron, 14th Calvary Regiment, took off their running shoes and traded their standard Army physical training for a little inner peace.
Army Pfc. Pherelle Fowler, with 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment, stretches during yoga class at Camp Bundela, India, Oct. 24, 2009. During the two-week exercise, U.S. soldiers participated in Indian sports, ate Indian food and participated in other cultural events. DoD photo by Fred W. Baker III
Sports included hitting, or trying to hit, a white ball with a polo mallet through a goal, while riding a bicycle.
And hamburgers and fries were swapped with mutton curry and naan.
The soldiers deployed here to train with the Indian army's 7th Mechanized Infantry Battalion. Dubbed "Yudh Abhyas," loosely translated as war preparation, it is the largest military exercise to date with the Indians. The two armies soldiered side by side, firing weapons and trading equipment. But perhaps the most valuable lessons learned were not those on the battlefield.
Read the whole article here.
- ► 2016 (44)
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (90)
- ► 2012 (161)
- ► 2011 (150)
- ► 2010 (184)
- Pagans Have it Rough Too
- Yoga, Curry Make for Good Army Training
- Another Canadian Soldier Killed in Afghanistan
- Christian Science Monitor Warns About Proposed Isl...
- Vatican row delays Anglo-Catholic text
- Data Shows Suicides in CF Increased Last Year
- Canadian Soldier Killed In Afghanistan
- President Obama Attends Repatriation at Dover AFB
- US Administrator Resigns in Afghanistan, PTSD Par...
- Padre supports British troops in Afghanistan
- Notable Quotable: On the Convenience of War By Re...
- Mike Jernigan Again on Living With PTSD
- Book Review: The Good Soldiers
- Different Takes on NATO
- Notable Quotable: John R. Allen on How Many Anglic...
- Military Picture of the Week
- Top Canadian Anglican Not Worried About Rome's Ove...
- Notable Quotable: A Canadian Captain on Afghan De...
- Rome's Anglican Overture Raises Celibacy Question
- PBS Frontline Documentary Nails the Afghanistan Qu...
- Church Joke of the Week
- Anglicans Welcomed Home?
- British Soldier and Artist Exhibits His Work From ...
- New Military Wife Writes Book on Her Experience
- Notable Quotable: General Stanley McChrystal
- Libraries and Readers Wade Into Digital Lending
- Military Picture of the Week
- British police officer boosts Afghan female police...
- US Defence Department and Sesame Street Team Up
- NATO explains itself for a new generation
- With the US Marines in Helmand Province
- Afghan Prison Update
- On Living with Our (Growing Number of) Muslim Neig...
- With a US Chaplain in Basra, Iraq
- Say What? The Johannine Michael Jackson
- One Veteran Slowly Learns to Manage PTSD
- Debate on Canadian Involvement in Afghan Prisons S...
- No Drag Dragon Boat Day
- US Military Announces New Steps To Address Domesti...
- Military Image of the Week
- On the Perils of Hot Sauce
- When Mothers Go to War
- The Patience of Creation - Today's Sermon
- ▼ October (43)
- ► 2008 (106)
- Adventures in Alberta (11)
- Adventures in Atlantic Canada (17)
- Adventures in Ontario (1)
- American Civil War (1)
- Anglican Church (53)
- Anglican Military Ordinariate (5)
- Beer (2)
- Blogs and Blogging (13)
- Book Reviews (51)
- Canada At War (9)
- Canadian Armed Forces (20)
- Canadian Forces Chaplain School (2)
- Chaplain Stories (15)
- Chaplaincy Issues (7)
- Children's Ministry (4)
- Christianity and Islam (4)
- Christianity and Society (12)
- Church and Society (6)
- Church History (5)
- Cool Stuff (11)
- Cultural Studies (1)
- Death and Dying (3)
- Depression and Suicide in the Military (9)
- Drones (3)
- ebooks (7)
- Ethics and Society (31)
- Evangelism (1)
- Family News (4)
- Films (4)
- Firearms (1)
- Friday Theology (7)
- Funny Stuff (36)
- Gaming and Ethics (6)
- Homiletics and Preaching (6)
- Interfaith Dialogue (3)
- Language Play of the Week (9)
- Literacy and Literature (12)
- Liturgy (1)
- Living History (1)
- Marriage and Relationships (3)
- Marriage and Society (1)
- Me and My iphone (12)
- Mental Health (8)
- Military and Society (53)
- Military and Spirituality (37)
- Military and Suicide (12)
- Military Chaplaincy (96)
- Military Culture (7)
- Military Ethics (66)
- Military Families (10)
- Military Goats (10)
- Military History (58)
- Military History American Civil War (5)
- Military Humour (32)
- Military News (219)
- Military Picture of the Week (36)
- Military Rantings (10)
- Military Reading (2)
- Military Service (40)
- Minature Wargames - My Figures (18)
- Miniature Wargames - Battle Reports (11)
- Miniature Wargames - Miscellaneous (2)
- Music (1)
- Oh Canada (9)
- Over There (121)
- Prayer (1)
- PTSD Issues (44)
- Random Stuff (1)
- Religion and Conflict (5)
- Religion and Society (61)
- Religion In The News (9)
- Royal Canadian Regiment (4)
- Running (36)
- Saints Days (1)
- Seen on the Run (16)
- ser (1)
- Sermons (150)
- Spirituality (18)
- Terrorism (1)
- The Bible and Society (3)
- Theology (21)
- Travel Stories (2)
- Video Gamex (1)
- Volkswagen Westfalia (8)
- Wanderings (8)
- War and Literature (2)
- Worship (3)