From the UK MOD news blog. The quote at the end of the article is quite good. MP+
A People In Defence news article
28 Oct 09
Support for British troops on operations in Afghanistan comes in many different forms, including chaplains, who cater for many religious beliefs as well as being a source of support for all those who need them.
One such chaplain, who serves the Royal Air Force, is Reverend (Wing Commander) Andrew Turner, who currently ministers at Kandahar Airfield, a coalition military base for the International Security Assistance Force with reputedly one of the busiest single runway airports in the world, second only to London Gatwick.
Reverend (Wing Commander) Andrew Turner officiating at the Battle of Britain Sunset Ceremony held at Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan
[Picture: Sgt Gemma Bibby, Crown Copyright/MOD 2009]
Padre Turner also assists at Camp Bastion in Helmand province, the main British military base in Afghanistan.
Having started his working life training to be a solicitor, followed by a job as an Administrative Assistant for the Ipswich Health District, Padre Turner's thoughts switched to joining the Ministry.
Read the whole piece here.
- ► 2016 (44)
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (90)
- ► 2012 (161)
- ► 2011 (150)
- ► 2010 (184)
- Pagans Have it Rough Too
- Yoga, Curry Make for Good Army Training
- Another Canadian Soldier Killed in Afghanistan
- Christian Science Monitor Warns About Proposed Isl...
- Vatican row delays Anglo-Catholic text
- Data Shows Suicides in CF Increased Last Year
- Canadian Soldier Killed In Afghanistan
- President Obama Attends Repatriation at Dover AFB
- US Administrator Resigns in Afghanistan, PTSD Par...
- Padre supports British troops in Afghanistan
- Notable Quotable: On the Convenience of War By Re...
- Mike Jernigan Again on Living With PTSD
- Book Review: The Good Soldiers
- Different Takes on NATO
- Notable Quotable: John R. Allen on How Many Anglic...
- Military Picture of the Week
- Top Canadian Anglican Not Worried About Rome's Ove...
- Notable Quotable: A Canadian Captain on Afghan De...
- Rome's Anglican Overture Raises Celibacy Question
- PBS Frontline Documentary Nails the Afghanistan Qu...
- Church Joke of the Week
- Anglicans Welcomed Home?
- British Soldier and Artist Exhibits His Work From ...
- New Military Wife Writes Book on Her Experience
- Notable Quotable: General Stanley McChrystal
- Libraries and Readers Wade Into Digital Lending
- Military Picture of the Week
- British police officer boosts Afghan female police...
- US Defence Department and Sesame Street Team Up
- NATO explains itself for a new generation
- With the US Marines in Helmand Province
- Afghan Prison Update
- On Living with Our (Growing Number of) Muslim Neig...
- With a US Chaplain in Basra, Iraq
- Say What? The Johannine Michael Jackson
- One Veteran Slowly Learns to Manage PTSD
- Debate on Canadian Involvement in Afghan Prisons S...
- No Drag Dragon Boat Day
- US Military Announces New Steps To Address Domesti...
- Military Image of the Week
- On the Perils of Hot Sauce
- When Mothers Go to War
- The Patience of Creation - Today's Sermon
- ▼ October (43)
- ► 2008 (106)
- Adventures in Alberta (11)
- Adventures in Atlantic Canada (17)
- Adventures in Ontario (1)
- American Civil War (1)
- Anglican Church (53)
- Anglican Military Ordinariate (5)
- Beer (2)
- Blogs and Blogging (13)
- Book Reviews (51)
- Canada At War (9)
- Canadian Armed Forces (20)
- Canadian Forces Chaplain School (2)
- Chaplain Stories (15)
- Chaplaincy Issues (7)
- Children's Ministry (4)
- Christianity and Islam (4)
- Christianity and Society (12)
- Church and Society (6)
- Church History (5)
- Cool Stuff (11)
- Cultural Studies (1)
- Death and Dying (3)
- Depression and Suicide in the Military (9)
- Drones (3)
- ebooks (7)
- Ethics and Society (31)
- Evangelism (1)
- Family News (4)
- Films (4)
- Firearms (1)
- Friday Theology (7)
- Funny Stuff (36)
- Gaming and Ethics (6)
- Homiletics and Preaching (6)
- Interfaith Dialogue (3)
- Language Play of the Week (9)
- Literacy and Literature (12)
- Liturgy (1)
- Living History (1)
- Marriage and Relationships (3)
- Marriage and Society (1)
- Me and My iphone (12)
- Mental Health (8)
- Military and Society (53)
- Military and Spirituality (37)
- Military and Suicide (12)
- Military Chaplaincy (97)
- Military Culture (7)
- Military Ethics (66)
- Military Families (10)
- Military Goats (10)
- Military History (58)
- Military History American Civil War (5)
- Military Humour (32)
- Military News (219)
- Military Picture of the Week (36)
- Military Rantings (10)
- Military Reading (2)
- Military Service (40)
- Minature Wargames - My Figures (18)
- Miniature Wargames - Battle Reports (11)
- Miniature Wargames - Miscellaneous (2)
- Music (1)
- Oh Canada (9)
- Over There (121)
- Prayer (1)
- PTSD Issues (44)
- Random Stuff (1)
- Religion and Conflict (5)
- Religion and Society (61)
- Religion In The News (9)
- Royal Canadian Regiment (4)
- Running (36)
- Saints Days (1)
- Seen on the Run (16)
- ser (1)
- Sermons (150)
- Spirituality (18)
- Terrorism (1)
- The Bible and Society (3)
- Theology (21)
- Travel Stories (2)
- Video Gamex (1)
- Volkswagen Westfalia (8)
- Wanderings (8)
- War and Literature (2)
- Worship (3)