It often seems to me that while every chaplain's story is the same, each one is illuminating in its elements of call and service. Also, the ice cream angle is a nice touch here. :) MP+
Face of Defense: Chaplain Provides Guidance, Friendship
By Army Spc. Maurice A. Galloway
Special to American Forces Press Service
CONTINGENCY OPERATING BASE BASRA, Iraq, Oct. 9, 2009 – An Army chaplain deployed to Iraq is determined to provide spiritual and emotional support to all soldiers under his care.
“As a civilian pastor, I can’t go to your office to check up on you, but as an Army chaplain, everywhere you go, that’s where I am,” said Army Chaplain (Maj.) Michael J. King, 17th Fires Brigade, from Vine Grove, Ky.
King’s job is to provide soldiers of the 17th Fires Brigade an open door to talk, spiritual guidance and a friend in their time of need.
Army Chaplain (Maj.) Michael J. King makes a strawberry soda float, while Army Maj. Kellard N. Townsend and Army Staff Sgt. Caroline A. Keller watch at the 17th Fires Brigade chaplain-sponsored, morale-building event, “Thunderbolt Floats,” in Iraq, Oct 1, 2009. U.S. Army photo by Spc. Samantha Ciaramitaro
“It all begins with a call to serve God,” said King as he reminisced on the steps that led him to become a chaplain. “I was a teenager when I first gave my life to Christ and I can remember having this longing to serve in mission work. I did a few mission trips and enjoyed them. Early on, I wanted to be a youth pastor, but ended up teaching high school instead.”
After three years of teaching biology to high school students, King entered the seminary, followed by four years of pastoral work. Still, something was missing: a longing or need, King said, to serve an even larger audience.
Following the allure to walk in the footsteps of his father, who retired as an Army chief warrant officer and served three combat tours in Vietnam, King decided to join the Army Reserve.
Read the whole article here.
- ► 2017 (26)
- ► 2016 (44)
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (90)
- ► 2012 (161)
- ► 2011 (150)
- ► 2010 (184)
- Pagans Have it Rough Too
- Yoga, Curry Make for Good Army Training
- Another Canadian Soldier Killed in Afghanistan
- Christian Science Monitor Warns About Proposed Isl...
- Vatican row delays Anglo-Catholic text
- Data Shows Suicides in CF Increased Last Year
- Canadian Soldier Killed In Afghanistan
- President Obama Attends Repatriation at Dover AFB
- US Administrator Resigns in Afghanistan, PTSD Par...
- Padre supports British troops in Afghanistan
- Notable Quotable: On the Convenience of War By Re...
- Mike Jernigan Again on Living With PTSD
- Book Review: The Good Soldiers
- Different Takes on NATO
- Notable Quotable: John R. Allen on How Many Anglic...
- Military Picture of the Week
- Top Canadian Anglican Not Worried About Rome's Ove...
- Notable Quotable: A Canadian Captain on Afghan De...
- Rome's Anglican Overture Raises Celibacy Question
- PBS Frontline Documentary Nails the Afghanistan Qu...
- Church Joke of the Week
- Anglicans Welcomed Home?
- British Soldier and Artist Exhibits His Work From ...
- New Military Wife Writes Book on Her Experience
- Notable Quotable: General Stanley McChrystal
- Libraries and Readers Wade Into Digital Lending
- Military Picture of the Week
- British police officer boosts Afghan female police...
- US Defence Department and Sesame Street Team Up
- NATO explains itself for a new generation
- With the US Marines in Helmand Province
- Afghan Prison Update
- On Living with Our (Growing Number of) Muslim Neig...
- With a US Chaplain in Basra, Iraq
- Say What? The Johannine Michael Jackson
- One Veteran Slowly Learns to Manage PTSD
- Debate on Canadian Involvement in Afghan Prisons S...
- No Drag Dragon Boat Day
- US Military Announces New Steps To Address Domesti...
- Military Image of the Week
- On the Perils of Hot Sauce
- When Mothers Go to War
- The Patience of Creation - Today's Sermon
- ▼ October (43)
- ► 2008 (106)
- Adventures in Alberta (11)
- Adventures in Atlantic Canada (17)
- Adventures in Ontario (1)
- American Civil War (1)
- Anglican Church (57)
- Anglican Military Ordinariate (6)
- Beer (2)
- Blogs and Blogging (13)
- Book Reviews (55)
- Canada At War (12)
- Canadian Armed Forces (23)
- Canadian Forces Chaplain School (2)
- Chaplain Stories (17)
- Chaplaincy Issues (7)
- Children's Ministry (5)
- Christianity and Islam (4)
- Christianity and Society (12)
- Church and Society (6)
- Church History (6)
- Cool Stuff (11)
- Cultural Studies (1)
- Death and Dying (3)
- Depression and Suicide in the Military (10)
- Drones (3)
- ebooks (7)
- Ethics and Society (31)
- Evangelism (1)
- Family News (5)
- Films (4)
- Firearms (1)
- Friday Theology (7)
- Funny Stuff (36)
- Gaming and Ethics (6)
- Good Friday (1)
- Homiletics and Preaching (6)
- Interfaith Dialogue (3)
- Language Play of the Week (9)
- Literacy and Literature (12)
- Literature and War (1)
- Liturgy (1)
- Living History (1)
- Marriage and Relationships (4)
- Marriage and Society (1)
- Me and My iphone (12)
- Mental Health (9)
- Military and Literature (2)
- Military and Society (58)
- Military and Spirituality (39)
- Military and Suicide (12)
- Military Chaplaincy (100)
- Military Culture (7)
- Military Ethics (67)
- Military Families (10)
- Military Goats (10)
- Military History (62)
- Military History American Civil War (5)
- Military Humour (32)
- Military News (220)
- Military Picture of the Week (36)
- Military Rantings (10)
- Military Reading (3)
- Military Service (41)
- Minature Wargames - My Figures (18)
- Miniature Wargames - Battle Reports (11)
- Miniature Wargames - Miscellaneous (2)
- Music (1)
- Oh Canada (9)
- Over There (122)
- Physical Fitness (1)
- Pluralism (1)
- Prayer (1)
- PTSD Issues (45)
- Random Stuff (1)
- Religion and Conflict (5)
- Religion and Society (63)
- Religion In The News (9)
- Royal Canadian Regiment (4)
- Running (36)
- Saints Days (1)
- Seen on the Run (16)
- ser (1)
- Sermons (166)
- Spirituality (18)
- Terrorism (1)
- The Bible and Society (3)
- The Great War (1)
- Theology (21)
- Travel Stories (2)
- Video Gamex (1)
- Volkswagen Westfalia (8)
- Wanderings (8)
- War and Literature (3)
- Worship (3)