I haven't read this book yet, but I can relate to the author's experience somewhat since my own wife, Kay, became a military wife somewhat late in life, with no real history in her family of anyone serving in the military. Books like this help explain the role of the "forgotten soldier", the military spouse. MP+
Author Draws on ‘Outsider’ Perspective
By Samantha L. Quigley
American Forces Press Service
NEW YORK, Oct. 19, 2009 – Alison Buckholtz had no desire to marry into the military, but when she fell for her husband, an active-duty Navy pilot, she became a Navy wife.
Alison Buckholtz, author of “Standing By: The Making of an American Military Family in a Time of War,” published by Tarcher/Penguin, visits with “Sesame Street” character Elmo on the New York set of a Sesame Workshop “Talk, Listen, Connect” video, Oct. 14, 2009. Courtesy photo by Gil Vaknin
The couple married shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States. Buckholtz’s military education began at the same time.
“I basically thought servicemembers were robots and their spouses were unambitious, at best,” she said. “That was because, growing up, there was no member of my family who had served. I didn’t have any teachers who were in the military, no neighbors.
“I really knew no one [who had served in the military],” she added.
She was thrilled to have her preconceived notions of military life shattered, however. “What I found was much richer and more interesting than what I had thought it to be,” Buckholtz said.
Buckholtz would identify her husband only by his first name, Scott, and his occupation -- an EA-6B Prowler jet pilot who’s serving a 12-month individual augmentation assignment with an Army unit in Iraq. Her learning curve on how to be an officer’s wife was a steep one, she acknowledged. Most military wives whose husbands held the rank her husband held when he deployed for his command tour aboard an aircraft carrier beginning in 2007 hadn’t started out at that level, she explained.
Read the whole article here.
- ► 2017 (26)
- ► 2016 (44)
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (90)
- ► 2012 (161)
- ► 2011 (150)
- ► 2010 (184)
- Pagans Have it Rough Too
- Yoga, Curry Make for Good Army Training
- Another Canadian Soldier Killed in Afghanistan
- Christian Science Monitor Warns About Proposed Isl...
- Vatican row delays Anglo-Catholic text
- Data Shows Suicides in CF Increased Last Year
- Canadian Soldier Killed In Afghanistan
- President Obama Attends Repatriation at Dover AFB
- US Administrator Resigns in Afghanistan, PTSD Par...
- Padre supports British troops in Afghanistan
- Notable Quotable: On the Convenience of War By Re...
- Mike Jernigan Again on Living With PTSD
- Book Review: The Good Soldiers
- Different Takes on NATO
- Notable Quotable: John R. Allen on How Many Anglic...
- Military Picture of the Week
- Top Canadian Anglican Not Worried About Rome's Ove...
- Notable Quotable: A Canadian Captain on Afghan De...
- Rome's Anglican Overture Raises Celibacy Question
- PBS Frontline Documentary Nails the Afghanistan Qu...
- Church Joke of the Week
- Anglicans Welcomed Home?
- British Soldier and Artist Exhibits His Work From ...
- New Military Wife Writes Book on Her Experience
- Notable Quotable: General Stanley McChrystal
- Libraries and Readers Wade Into Digital Lending
- Military Picture of the Week
- British police officer boosts Afghan female police...
- US Defence Department and Sesame Street Team Up
- NATO explains itself for a new generation
- With the US Marines in Helmand Province
- Afghan Prison Update
- On Living with Our (Growing Number of) Muslim Neig...
- With a US Chaplain in Basra, Iraq
- Say What? The Johannine Michael Jackson
- One Veteran Slowly Learns to Manage PTSD
- Debate on Canadian Involvement in Afghan Prisons S...
- No Drag Dragon Boat Day
- US Military Announces New Steps To Address Domesti...
- Military Image of the Week
- On the Perils of Hot Sauce
- When Mothers Go to War
- The Patience of Creation - Today's Sermon
- ▼ October (43)
- ► 2008 (106)
- Adventures in Alberta (11)
- Adventures in Atlantic Canada (17)
- Adventures in Ontario (1)
- American Civil War (1)
- Anglican Church (57)
- Anglican Military Ordinariate (6)
- Beer (2)
- Blogs and Blogging (13)
- Book Reviews (55)
- Canada At War (12)
- Canadian Armed Forces (23)
- Canadian Forces Chaplain School (2)
- Chaplain Stories (17)
- Chaplaincy Issues (7)
- Children's Ministry (5)
- Christianity and Islam (4)
- Christianity and Society (12)
- Church and Society (6)
- Church History (6)
- Cool Stuff (11)
- Cultural Studies (1)
- Death and Dying (3)
- Depression and Suicide in the Military (10)
- Drones (3)
- ebooks (7)
- Ethics and Society (31)
- Evangelism (1)
- Family News (5)
- Films (4)
- Firearms (1)
- Friday Theology (7)
- Funny Stuff (36)
- Gaming and Ethics (6)
- Good Friday (1)
- Homiletics and Preaching (6)
- Interfaith Dialogue (3)
- Language Play of the Week (9)
- Literacy and Literature (12)
- Literature and War (1)
- Liturgy (1)
- Living History (1)
- Marriage and Relationships (4)
- Marriage and Society (1)
- Me and My iphone (12)
- Mental Health (9)
- Military and Literature (2)
- Military and Society (58)
- Military and Spirituality (39)
- Military and Suicide (12)
- Military Chaplaincy (100)
- Military Culture (7)
- Military Ethics (67)
- Military Families (10)
- Military Goats (10)
- Military History (62)
- Military History American Civil War (5)
- Military Humour (32)
- Military News (220)
- Military Picture of the Week (36)
- Military Rantings (10)
- Military Reading (3)
- Military Service (41)
- Minature Wargames - My Figures (18)
- Miniature Wargames - Battle Reports (11)
- Miniature Wargames - Miscellaneous (2)
- Music (1)
- Oh Canada (9)
- Over There (122)
- Physical Fitness (1)
- Pluralism (1)
- Prayer (1)
- PTSD Issues (45)
- Random Stuff (1)
- Religion and Conflict (5)
- Religion and Society (63)
- Religion In The News (9)
- Royal Canadian Regiment (4)
- Running (36)
- Saints Days (1)
- Seen on the Run (16)
- ser (1)
- Sermons (165)
- Spirituality (18)
- Terrorism (1)
- The Bible and Society (3)
- The Great War (1)
- Theology (21)
- Travel Stories (2)
- Video Gamex (1)
- Volkswagen Westfalia (8)
- Wanderings (8)
- War and Literature (3)
- Worship (3)