Last week the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life published a report saying that nearly 1 in 4 of the world's population, some 1.57 billion people, is of the Muslim faith. Some impressive facts from the study:
"The project, three years in the making, also presents a portrait of the Muslim world that might surprise some. For instance, Germany has more Muslims than Lebanon, China has more Muslims than Syria, Russia has more Muslims than Jordan and Libya combined, and Ethiopia has nearly as many Muslims as Afghanistan.
"This whole idea that Muslims are Arabs and Arabs are Muslims is really just obliterated by this report," said Amaney Jamal, an assistant professor of politics at Princeton University who reviewed an advance copy.
Pew officials call the report the most thorough on the size and distribution of adherents of the world's second largest religion behind Christianity, which has an estimated 2.1 billion to 2.2 billion followers."
Read the whole report here
At roughly the same time as the report was published, former British Prime Minister Tony Blair spoke at a US university panel on the future of Muslim-Christian relations. Here is an excerpt from the coverage posted on the Ethics Daily website:
"To promote peace among religious cultures, Blair proposed a three-prong plan, urging people to first take the time to understand each other, then use words to show respect toward each other’s cultures and, ultimately, to take action to foster positive relations between cultures.
Taking action was the most essential part, Blair said. “If we show by our actions we are engaged in understanding,” he said, “that’s what will succeed.”
As an example, Blair explained how his Tony Blair Faith Foundation has established a program connecting youth in culturally diverse schools in Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Participants communicate online to discuss differences and similarities in their cultural and religious values, dispelling common stereotypes."
Read the whole piece here.
These two pieces remind us that if the 21st century will indeed be defined as a century of religious conflict, as some have predicted, then our understanding of religions and their makeup needs to be nuanced and clear. A view of Islam as an implacable enemy of the West may be true of some segments of Islam such as Wahabi fundamentalism and radical jihadism, but as Blair and others remind us, we cannot allow this view to colour our relations with 1/4 of the world's population. MP+
- ► 2016 (44)
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (90)
- ► 2012 (161)
- ► 2011 (150)
- ► 2010 (184)
- Pagans Have it Rough Too
- Yoga, Curry Make for Good Army Training
- Another Canadian Soldier Killed in Afghanistan
- Christian Science Monitor Warns About Proposed Isl...
- Vatican row delays Anglo-Catholic text
- Data Shows Suicides in CF Increased Last Year
- Canadian Soldier Killed In Afghanistan
- President Obama Attends Repatriation at Dover AFB
- US Administrator Resigns in Afghanistan, PTSD Par...
- Padre supports British troops in Afghanistan
- Notable Quotable: On the Convenience of War By Re...
- Mike Jernigan Again on Living With PTSD
- Book Review: The Good Soldiers
- Different Takes on NATO
- Notable Quotable: John R. Allen on How Many Anglic...
- Military Picture of the Week
- Top Canadian Anglican Not Worried About Rome's Ove...
- Notable Quotable: A Canadian Captain on Afghan De...
- Rome's Anglican Overture Raises Celibacy Question
- PBS Frontline Documentary Nails the Afghanistan Qu...
- Church Joke of the Week
- Anglicans Welcomed Home?
- British Soldier and Artist Exhibits His Work From ...
- New Military Wife Writes Book on Her Experience
- Notable Quotable: General Stanley McChrystal
- Libraries and Readers Wade Into Digital Lending
- Military Picture of the Week
- British police officer boosts Afghan female police...
- US Defence Department and Sesame Street Team Up
- NATO explains itself for a new generation
- With the US Marines in Helmand Province
- Afghan Prison Update
- On Living with Our (Growing Number of) Muslim Neig...
- With a US Chaplain in Basra, Iraq
- Say What? The Johannine Michael Jackson
- One Veteran Slowly Learns to Manage PTSD
- Debate on Canadian Involvement in Afghan Prisons S...
- No Drag Dragon Boat Day
- US Military Announces New Steps To Address Domesti...
- Military Image of the Week
- On the Perils of Hot Sauce
- When Mothers Go to War
- The Patience of Creation - Today's Sermon
- ▼ October (43)
- ► 2008 (106)
- Adventures in Alberta (11)
- Adventures in Atlantic Canada (17)
- Adventures in Ontario (1)
- American Civil War (1)
- Anglican Church (53)
- Anglican Military Ordinariate (5)
- Beer (2)
- Blogs and Blogging (13)
- Book Reviews (52)
- Canada At War (11)
- Canadian Armed Forces (21)
- Canadian Forces Chaplain School (2)
- Chaplain Stories (16)
- Chaplaincy Issues (7)
- Children's Ministry (4)
- Christianity and Islam (4)
- Christianity and Society (12)
- Church and Society (6)
- Church History (5)
- Cool Stuff (11)
- Cultural Studies (1)
- Death and Dying (3)
- Depression and Suicide in the Military (9)
- Drones (3)
- ebooks (7)
- Ethics and Society (31)
- Evangelism (1)
- Family News (4)
- Films (4)
- Firearms (1)
- Friday Theology (7)
- Funny Stuff (36)
- Gaming and Ethics (6)
- Good Friday (1)
- Homiletics and Preaching (6)
- Interfaith Dialogue (3)
- Language Play of the Week (9)
- Literacy and Literature (12)
- Liturgy (1)
- Living History (1)
- Marriage and Relationships (3)
- Marriage and Society (1)
- Me and My iphone (12)
- Mental Health (8)
- Military and Literature (2)
- Military and Society (57)
- Military and Spirituality (39)
- Military and Suicide (12)
- Military Chaplaincy (100)
- Military Culture (7)
- Military Ethics (67)
- Military Families (10)
- Military Goats (10)
- Military History (60)
- Military History American Civil War (5)
- Military Humour (32)
- Military News (220)
- Military Picture of the Week (36)
- Military Rantings (10)
- Military Reading (3)
- Military Service (41)
- Minature Wargames - My Figures (18)
- Miniature Wargames - Battle Reports (11)
- Miniature Wargames - Miscellaneous (2)
- Music (1)
- Oh Canada (9)
- Over There (122)
- Physical Fitness (1)
- Pluralism (1)
- Prayer (1)
- PTSD Issues (44)
- Random Stuff (1)
- Religion and Conflict (5)
- Religion and Society (63)
- Religion In The News (9)
- Royal Canadian Regiment (4)
- Running (36)
- Saints Days (1)
- Seen on the Run (16)
- ser (1)
- Sermons (156)
- Spirituality (18)
- Terrorism (1)
- The Bible and Society (3)
- The Great War (1)
- Theology (21)
- Travel Stories (2)
- Video Gamex (1)
- Volkswagen Westfalia (8)
- Wanderings (8)
- War and Literature (3)
- Worship (3)