14 Wing's Dragon Boat team participated in an event on Lake Banook, Datmouth (near Halifax) as part of the Kiwanis Make-a-wish Community Dragon Boat Festival on Sept. 26th. Organized by a young and energetic air maintenance lieutenant and with a wide range of trades, ranks and ages represented, we scraped together about 20 adventurous souls. About half of us made a trip down the previous Thursday to practice for an hour, and for many of us, including myself, that was the first time in a dragon boat.
I'm reasonably comfortable in a canoe, but the dragon boat paddle and stroke are quite different than canoe paddling. Timing is everything, and a good vertical insertion of the paddle's blade into the water is essential. After one practice, we were grateful we were just doing the 200 metre distance, and not the full 2 kilometres.
14 Wing team demonstrates close order drill with their paddles:
Dragon boats on the lake, preparing for a heat. Most of the day the sun was out, but it was often quite cold.
Mike the Paddling Padre:
In our first heat, we barely came in under a minute for 200 metres. Our competition was much younger, with at least one group being from a local cadet corps. A lot of folks had more paddling experience than we did. However in our second heat we decreased our time by a few seconds and we were more together. You can soon tell watching a boat if the crew is working together, and you can feel the difference in the boat when all the blades are in the water at the same time.
Here we are heading out for our third and final heat of the day. That's me seated third up from the back in the black ball cap:
Our coxswain or steersperson or whatever the appropriate dragon boat term is was very experienced and was kindly leant to our team. Without him we wouldn't have done nearly so well.
The final heat, all straining to be first to the finish:
It wasn't about winning, but we were pleased to be awarded gold. Another team came ahead of us (platinum elite paddlers, maybe?) but we all felt good about the day and about the $3000+ we raised for Kiwanis Make-a-wish charity. Here we are at the awards bit afterwards:
I'm told that a new dragonboat can start at $5000 and easily go up to $15K. We are hoping to lobby the Wing to buy a dragon boat for a permanent team, and do more of this. Judging by the day, it would be good investment in morale and team spirit.
- ► 2016 (44)
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (90)
- ► 2012 (161)
- ► 2011 (150)
- ► 2010 (184)
- Pagans Have it Rough Too
- Yoga, Curry Make for Good Army Training
- Another Canadian Soldier Killed in Afghanistan
- Christian Science Monitor Warns About Proposed Isl...
- Vatican row delays Anglo-Catholic text
- Data Shows Suicides in CF Increased Last Year
- Canadian Soldier Killed In Afghanistan
- President Obama Attends Repatriation at Dover AFB
- US Administrator Resigns in Afghanistan, PTSD Par...
- Padre supports British troops in Afghanistan
- Notable Quotable: On the Convenience of War By Re...
- Mike Jernigan Again on Living With PTSD
- Book Review: The Good Soldiers
- Different Takes on NATO
- Notable Quotable: John R. Allen on How Many Anglic...
- Military Picture of the Week
- Top Canadian Anglican Not Worried About Rome's Ove...
- Notable Quotable: A Canadian Captain on Afghan De...
- Rome's Anglican Overture Raises Celibacy Question
- PBS Frontline Documentary Nails the Afghanistan Qu...
- Church Joke of the Week
- Anglicans Welcomed Home?
- British Soldier and Artist Exhibits His Work From ...
- New Military Wife Writes Book on Her Experience
- Notable Quotable: General Stanley McChrystal
- Libraries and Readers Wade Into Digital Lending
- Military Picture of the Week
- British police officer boosts Afghan female police...
- US Defence Department and Sesame Street Team Up
- NATO explains itself for a new generation
- With the US Marines in Helmand Province
- Afghan Prison Update
- On Living with Our (Growing Number of) Muslim Neig...
- With a US Chaplain in Basra, Iraq
- Say What? The Johannine Michael Jackson
- One Veteran Slowly Learns to Manage PTSD
- Debate on Canadian Involvement in Afghan Prisons S...
- No Drag Dragon Boat Day
- US Military Announces New Steps To Address Domesti...
- Military Image of the Week
- On the Perils of Hot Sauce
- When Mothers Go to War
- The Patience of Creation - Today's Sermon
- ▼ October (43)
- ► 2008 (106)
- Adventures in Alberta (11)
- Adventures in Atlantic Canada (17)
- Adventures in Ontario (1)
- American Civil War (1)
- Anglican Church (53)
- Anglican Military Ordinariate (5)
- Beer (2)
- Blogs and Blogging (13)
- Book Reviews (51)
- Canada At War (9)
- Canadian Armed Forces (20)
- Canadian Forces Chaplain School (2)
- Chaplain Stories (15)
- Chaplaincy Issues (7)
- Children's Ministry (4)
- Christianity and Islam (4)
- Christianity and Society (12)
- Church and Society (6)
- Church History (5)
- Cool Stuff (11)
- Cultural Studies (1)
- Death and Dying (3)
- Depression and Suicide in the Military (9)
- Drones (3)
- ebooks (7)
- Ethics and Society (31)
- Evangelism (1)
- Family News (4)
- Films (4)
- Firearms (1)
- Friday Theology (7)
- Funny Stuff (36)
- Gaming and Ethics (6)
- Homiletics and Preaching (6)
- Interfaith Dialogue (3)
- Language Play of the Week (9)
- Literacy and Literature (12)
- Liturgy (1)
- Living History (1)
- Marriage and Relationships (3)
- Marriage and Society (1)
- Me and My iphone (12)
- Mental Health (8)
- Military and Society (53)
- Military and Spirituality (37)
- Military and Suicide (12)
- Military Chaplaincy (96)
- Military Culture (7)
- Military Ethics (66)
- Military Families (10)
- Military Goats (10)
- Military History (58)
- Military History American Civil War (5)
- Military Humour (32)
- Military News (219)
- Military Picture of the Week (36)
- Military Rantings (10)
- Military Reading (2)
- Military Service (40)
- Minature Wargames - My Figures (18)
- Miniature Wargames - Battle Reports (11)
- Miniature Wargames - Miscellaneous (2)
- Music (1)
- Oh Canada (9)
- Over There (121)
- Prayer (1)
- PTSD Issues (44)
- Random Stuff (1)
- Religion and Conflict (5)
- Religion and Society (61)
- Religion In The News (9)
- Royal Canadian Regiment (4)
- Running (36)
- Saints Days (1)
- Seen on the Run (16)
- ser (1)
- Sermons (150)
- Spirituality (18)
- Terrorism (1)
- The Bible and Society (3)
- Theology (21)
- Travel Stories (2)
- Video Gamex (1)
- Volkswagen Westfalia (8)
- Wanderings (8)
- War and Literature (2)
- Worship (3)