Saturday, September 22, 2012

Military Picture Of The Week

I took these photos two weeks back while on holiday in St. John's, Newfoundland. While going for an early morning jog up Signal Hill, I detoured off the road and passed Queen's Battery, an 18th century fortification guarding the harbour.

Maker's stamp on one of the cannons. Sure looks to me like this was made in 1708, unless I am misreading it. If so, that's about as old a piece of wesern military history as one is likely to come across in Canada.

Both photos taken with my iphone 4.

No comments:

Mad Padre

Mad Padre
Opinions expressed within are in no way the responsibility of anyone's employers or facilitating agencies and should by rights be taken as nothing more than one person's notional musings, attempted witticisms, and prayerful posturings.

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels