Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Notable Quotable: Thomas Carlyle on the Lost Tidings of Our Souls

The following quote is from the Victorian writer Thomas Carlyle's Past and Present, which I confess I haven't read, but now want to. I gleaned this quote from a novel I just finished, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Marry Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. My wife Kay urged me to read this book, and I'm glad I did. It is one of those rare books that makes you want to read other books that would otherwise seem too daunting or fusty to seek out. I won't say more about the novel, except that it's a moving and artful meditation on how reading creates communities that sustain people in believable and profound ways.

Here's Carlyle:

Does it ever give thee pause, that men used to have a soul - not by hearsay alone, or as a figure of speech; but as a truth that they knew, and acted upon! Verily it was another world then ... but yet it is a pity we have lost the tidings of our souls ... we shall have to go in search of them again, or worse in all ways shall befall us.

No comments:

Mad Padre

Mad Padre
Opinions expressed within are in no way the responsibility of anyone's employers or facilitating agencies and should by rights be taken as nothing more than one person's notional musings, attempted witticisms, and prayerful posturings.

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels