Tuesday, May 25, 2010

With Queen Victoria in Ottawa

The 24th of May is the Queen's birthday, so they sang in my mother's day. Ottawa's excellent repertory cinema, the ByTowne (another reason why I'd like to get posted to Ottawa), was cleverly running the 2009 film The Young Victoria, so as a good subject in the town she chose as Canada's capital, I went to see it.



Beautiful looking film, and Emily Blunt brought a lot of intelligence to the role. Not sure I learned that much about history, but it was better than the Marie Antoinette film that came out a few years back. I tend to agree with Anthony Lane that Blunt was the best thing hiding in an otherwise staid but visually gorgeous film.

And, since Kate Beaton is still making me laugh, here's her take on Victoria Day.

No comments:

Mad Padre

Mad Padre
Opinions expressed within are in no way the responsibility of anyone's employers or facilitating agencies and should by rights be taken as nothing more than one person's notional musings, attempted witticisms, and prayerful posturings.

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels