Friday, June 7, 2013

T.M. Luhrmann on Faith, Belief, and "The Reach For Joy"




T.M. Luhrmann is a professor of anthropology at Stanford University. She has written a book that I quite want to read, When God Talks Back: Understanding the A,Erica Evangelical Relationship With God. While ambivalent about the existence of God ("I don't have a horse in that race"', she told one interviewer), her book is a sympathetic and careful study of how evangelical Christianity in North America is more and more about a personal relationship with a God who can be imagined (her word, and quite nuanced) as a conversation partner. A good summary of her conversation with NPR's Terry Gross, and their interview, may be found here.

In a short and very readable essaypublished last week in the NYT, Luhrmann has some interesting things to say about how secular, liberal people look at religion and see it as an intellectual thing, about whether or not one can give assent to the idea of an invisible agent called God. She writes:

"And that was not really what I saw after my years spending time in evangelical churches. I saw that people went to church to experience joy and to learn how to have more of it. These days I find that it is more helpful to think about faith as the questions people choose to focus on, rather than the propositions observers think they must hold.

If you can sidestep the problem of belief — and the related politics, which can be so distracting — it is easier to see that the evangelical view of the world is full of joy. God is good. The world is good. Things will be good, even if they don’t seem good now. That’s what draws people to church. It is understandably hard for secular observers to sidestep the problem of belief. But it is worth appreciating that in belief is the reach for joy, and the reason many people go to church in the first place."

What Lurhmann calls practical faith, the perception that an unconditionally loving God is interested in our lives and can be encountered there, is helpful as I think about my own preaching and ministry. When I came from seminary, and being a bit of an egghead, I thought and talked a lot about doctrine and theology. Doctrine and theology have their place, but in ministry and then in chaplaincy, I learned that one has to get beyond propositions to the place where, as Luhrmann says, one can "reach for joy". Too often, I think, especially in parts of the church that are intentionally (small "o") orthodox, we think that all will be well if we hold fast to certain credal and propositional claims. These claims may be foundational, but they will not sustain and attract believers if faith is not also about joyfulness.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Conrad Kinch said...

An interesting piece - I'm always in two minds about things like that. There's a danger that Christianity to reduced to a sort self help mantra rather than what it is. That said, I'm meeting more and more evangelicals and often under the strangest of circumstances and they certainly appear to possess a great deal of certainty.

I can see the appeal of wanting to have a personal relationship with God, but the idea of having "coffee with the Almighty" seems a little far fetched. Ours is a relationship that has no equality in it, just endless grace on one side and a sort stumbling aspiration on the other. I suppose it's the difference between being a father and being a friend. I'm very close to my father, but I wouldn't consider him a friend, nor would attempting to bring that to our relationship be useful or good.

Also, my copy of Other Men's Flowers arrived this morning.

styler said...

Or love

Mad Padre said...

@CK: I think Anglicans from a certain part of our tradition are uncomfortable with the personal dimension of faith, preferring the distance that comes with formal worship and an emphasis on adoration of the divine Other. At the same time, we don't worship only the "high and lofty" deity of Isaiah 6, but also the incarnate, knowable Christ who took flesh and lived among us. Evangelicals, including Anglican evangelicals, are right to point to that side of the relationship. That being said, I very much like your phrase "just endless grace on one side and a sort stumbling aspiration on the other". I will use that in future, w. your permission.
Looking forward to hearing how you like Other Men's Flowers.

@ styler: Yes indeed, love.

Mad Padre

Mad Padre
Opinions expressed within are in no way the responsibility of anyone's employers or facilitating agencies and should by rights be taken as nothing more than one person's notional musings, attempted witticisms, and prayerful posturings.

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels