Tuesday, February 5, 2013

"I’d Already Rehearsed How I Would Kill Myself": New Treatment Hope For Those With PTSD

I've been tracking stories about eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR) for about a year now, though the therapy has been around for several decades. I'm not a medical man, so I can't comment on whether the medical and scientific community has yet ruled on its ultimate effectiveness. A paper published on the Tufts Medical Centre website notes that EMDR research is still ongoing, though the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs and the Dept. of Defense "identify EMDR as a valid therapy for PTSD". Canada's Ministry of Veterans Affairs offers a more cautious assessment, saying it is "unclear whether [EMDR] is as effective as CBT )Cognitive Behavioural Therapy".

A piece published today on the UK Ministry of Defence website, and originally published in the UK's Soldier magazine, offers a very positive account of one British veteran's experience of EMDR as a treatment for PTSD incurred on his many deployments. Steve Johnson, a sergeant in the Royal Military police, is quoted as saying "I thought I had dealt with everything I saw but the sessions brought it out and put it back in order. Different things help people in different ways but for me EMDR is the only reason I am here today. I can’t explain the science behind it, but it worked."

I would encourage anyone seeking treatment for PTSD to get a medical opinion on EMDR as a possible treatment.

No comments:

Mad Padre

Mad Padre
Opinions expressed within are in no way the responsibility of anyone's employers or facilitating agencies and should by rights be taken as nothing more than one person's notional musings, attempted witticisms, and prayerful posturings.

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels