Thursday, July 1, 2010

Going Gaga for Singing, Dancing, Marching Soldiers



This is what it looked like in the Halifax Metro Centre last night at the final dress rehearsal of the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo. I was able to attend thanks to a friend who is a Tattoo staffer - I think most of the packed crowd last night were there on comp tickets, and we were all treated to a fabulous three hour show of marching troops, military bands, pipes and drums, acrobatics, dancers, choirs, etc.



The theme of the 2010 Tattoo was largely naval, reflecting the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Navy, and there was a good naval presence not only from Canada but from Germany and a fine marching band composed of retired US Marines. Acrobats, cyclists and gymnasts from France,the Netherlands and Estonia added some comic and at times heart-stopping moments. The Tattoo runs from July 1 to 8 and if you are in or near Halifax, I heartily recommend it, and also recommend that you leave ample time to find parking near the Metro Centre.

I have no one to blame but myself (she's like a train wreck, I can't help myself for looking) for watching Lady Gaga's new video "Alejandro". This is sort of relevant to my post because the video starts with what appear to be marching and dancing soldiers, though God alone knows for what reason. Unfortunately for her and her dancing soldiers, the Tattoo is a family show, so don't expect to see Lady Gaga in the program any time soon.

Speaking of Lady Gaga and marching soldiers (you were wondering where I was going with this, weren't you?), I was delighted to come across this piece about how some real soldiers, with the US Army's 82nd Airborne Division in Afghanistan, have made their own spoof of another Lady Gaga video, "Telephone". It's good to see that the fine tradition of the viral comic military music video is being continued. One of the participants in the US video, a Sgt. Aaron Melcher, has already acquired his own Facebook following. One wonders what the Taliban make of it all. I would definitely go back to the Tattoo if they booked these 82nd AB guys do their Lady Gaga thing.

3 comments:

J Goreham-Penney said...

Padre, are you still in town? If you're still in HRM then please drop by SAM and let us know you're the Mad Padre. We'd be delighted to show you around. Hope you enjoyed the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo!

styler said...

Since we're talking about the Navy, this is one of my fav covers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqaWdkdFb3Y&playnext_from=TL&videos=EQyHxLlB3Ms

One of my coworkers wished he had served under the skipper that let the squadron make the series during his carrier service.

Make sure you check out Move Along.

Mad Padre said...

Hey J G-P - I'm bck in the Valley and off to Alberta tomorrow to find a place to live, but I'm hoping to get down to SAM before I'm done here at the end of the month. If I visit I'll be sure to ask for you.

Steve - I loved that video and likewise the Move Along video. That was one enlightened skipper for sure - obviously high morale in that squadron.

Mad Padre

Mad Padre
Opinions expressed within are in no way the responsibility of anyone's employers or facilitating agencies and should by rights be taken as nothing more than one person's notional musings, attempted witticisms, and prayerful posturings.

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels