Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Portrait of an Inspiring Runner

I thought I was hurting this Sunday as I finished the local ZX 10km fun run. If I'd known about this guy then, I would surely have run faster.



This is Royal Marine Ben McBean, 22 years old, who recently lost an arm and a leg while serving in Afghanistan. last Sunday, April 26th, he finished the London Marathon on a prosthetic limb in six hours and fifteen minutes, despite considerable pain. Marine McBean managed to raise 8000 pounds (about $16,000 Canadian dollars) for the Help for Heroes fund. As he put it, "My neck was aching, my back was aching and everyone was overtaking me. But I thought of my mates serving in Afghanistan on the front line and I kept going." Another UL serviceman also wounded in Iraq is doing a marathon on crutches, a few Ks a day. See the complete story here.

No comments:

Mad Padre

Mad Padre
Opinions expressed within are in no way the responsibility of anyone's employers or facilitating agencies and should by rights be taken as nothing more than one person's notional musings, attempted witticisms, and prayerful posturings.

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels